Sunday, May 10, 2009

US Championship (with round2 photos) Trip

590 miles traveled on the great American interstate all with one thought in mind: viewing great chess games from the 2009 US Championship.

It turned out there was only one problem with that thought... "viewing." The very enthusiastic organizers of the St. Louis chess club must be applauded for their heart and effort... but condemned on their results. They created the most non friendly spectator environment I could ever have imagined. I could complain all day on the errors of these first time organizers... but I will chalk it all up to as a learning experience. I will say though that I finally understand the sentiment of just spectating from home. Nothing prevents the organizers from creating these non-spectator friendly environments. I will never again wonder about why chess is not a spectator friendly sport for I will always remember the setup of the 2009 US Championships. My friend and I decided to leave late on Saturday night after round 2 instead of staying for round 3 as originally planned as a result of the poor spectating conditions.


Even though the club staff did their best to prevent photos by taking away your camera and cellphone at the door... and constantly wanding you and patting you down like an airport security checkin point. I did manage to steal some illegal photos!

I hope that at least some people will enjoy my photos as I went to great lengths to dupe the stupid security guards. I would have videos as well but it seemed too risky.




A young future GM plays skittles prior to round2's start outside the club with a prestigious on looker: IM Michael Brooks!


Wall of photos of the 24 participants taken by Betsy Dynako.


GM Alexander Onischuk in deep thought against NM Tyler Hughes.



GM Melikset Khachiyan ponders his position in the winawer french against defending 2008 US Champion GM Yury Shulman of Chicago, IL!


Local NM Charles Lawton in deep thought against IM Enrico Sevillano.


The most interesting game of the round to participants... GM Joshua Friedel vs GM Gregory Kaidanov with GM Robert Hess, GM Alexander Onischuk and GM Alexander Shabalov spectating.



My favorite photo: IM Anna Zatonskih ponders her position in a very cat like posture... as the picture of IM Michael Brooks from the wall of photos stares on with her.

I have learned my lesson. No need to spectate live unless its your home town or a side event for you to play in.... because the last thing organizers think about is spectators.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your photos! They should allow photos without a flash, and from a distance, as to not disturb the players. It sounds like they did not think about their PR very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That sounds like a fairly unfriendly environment! Did you have to wrestle any officials for your camera or phone after the illegal pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well after I took the photos they started to post guards upstairs instead of just entrance to upstairs. Also, a guard came up to me and tried to intimidate me. They did not try to make me erase the photos though.

    ReplyDelete